Thursday 17 February 2011

Crash, bang, wallop!

It had to happen sooner or later - after all, it'd been two years since the last time.

Yesterday I fell off my bike in pretty calamitous fashion. The night before it had been raining heavily and there was a greasy sheen on most of the roads. But with my new resolution not to let inclemental weather put me off, I went for my planned early morning pre-work ride around The Downs in Bristol.

Although I was cautious to begin with, there wasn't a frost on the roads and I'd made it four miles without the slightest incident so perhaps I became a little cocky.

But as I rounded a sweeping corner on The Downs' Circular Road, my front wheel slipped out from underneath me and I graciously deposited myself on the tarmac.

Within a flash I was up again, dusting myself off and moving my bike out of the way of the car behind me. A few people turned, looked and asked if I was ok. "Yes, yes, fine thanks," I said, secretly cursing under my breath.

My primary concern was for my bike, which now displayed permanent scarring on its brake hoods and gear levers, and for my clothing, which carried new badges of honour.

At the back of my mind, I knew my body was stinging but adrenaline took over and it wasn't until later that I saw the three inch burn on my hip and cuts to my knee and elbow.

Still, that discovery wasn't to come until I got to work, and I still had three further miles to go through city traffic. I nervously remounted and edged down the road, gripping on for dear life at the corners.

The workplace showers revealed the full extent of my cuts and bruises, and the workplace first aid kit helped me cover them up, but I couldn't disguise the limp and my wincing face as the day wore on.

I woke today feeling stiff, but with an errand to run before work, I had to cycle nine miles before getting to the office. The riding itself wasn't a problem but I nervously approached every corner, fearing a fall.

I'd completely lost my nerve, and I think it'll remain hidden until the gashes on my left hand side disappear. Looks like it's back to the turbo trainer for a few weeks then!

That's quite a shame as I was beginning to really enjoy my early morning rides, getting three in last week, and had been feeling fitter, stronger and faster than at any other time this year.

Questions going round my mind at the moment include: How do you regain your nerve? Would better tyres have stopped me falling? And how do the pros remount and continue racing day after day?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment