Sunday 6 February 2011

Dark mornings and evenings and wet and windy weather limit time in the saddle

So the days and weeks slowly pass by as we head towards warmer months. Our frozen fingers and toes are thawing. The joy of feeling the sun's warmth on our backs as we pedal past fields and farmland is coming. Although it's not quite here yet.

For now, dark mornings and evenings and February's wet and windy weather still limit our time spent in the saddle.

I'm hitting the turbo trainer three times a week and fitting in rides on the weekend when I can. Their length tends to be dictated by the weather - last week's cold, icy conditions restricted me to two and a half hours on Saturday; this weekend's blustery gales sent me on hard 30-40 mile bursts, rather than long, soul-destroying rides into roaring headwinds.

My first 'event' of the year is coming up in March - Epic Cycles 50-mile Spring Challenge - which is sure to test my early season fitness. The route includes 1772ft of Clee Hill, the highest point in Shropshire, which always guarantees a tough slog to the top. My best place in this friendly sportive was 7th, in 2009, so I'll be hoping that last year's 6450 miles and this year's early season efforts will see me place even higher (especially if I don't take a wrong turn, miss the first wave and get caught at traffic lights again!).

I'm also considering entering some 4th cat races, having read some interesting pieces on road.cc and Bike Radar websites. My nearest races appear to be at Castle Coombe or Ilton airfield near Taunton - both between 40-60 minutes by car from my house. But it seems like there's a quite a few steps to take before turning up and riding - racing licence, riding etiquette and honing my group riding skills. Thursday, 5th May will be the first chance I get to check this out - the date is marked in my diary, whether I'll simply spectate or take part is yet to be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment